She's got it....bad. Separation anxiety. Brooke never really cared if I walked out of the room. When she went to her Kids Day Out for the first time, her teachers told me that she cried for maybe 5 min and was over it (most likely it was just for show!). Not Caroline.
Today I had my last Mom's Group meeting before summer. As soon as we walked in church..she froze. She knew that coming here meant I was going to leave her in the playroom. That is when the tears started.
When I first joined this group (maybe 3-4 months ago) she did great! She didn't even cry when I left the room! The last few times, though, she has gotten pretty upset when I left her to play. I chalked it up to a doctors appointment (with shots) the day prior to my group meeting and just getting over being sick right before another get together. Apparently, though, it doesn't matter if she is sick, getting sick, perfectly healthy or newly immunized....she DOES NOT want me to leave her with strange babysitters.
Today I thought that she would fuss a bit...and then see all the toys and get distracted. I even asked Brooke to look out for her (yeah right.). After 10 minutes or so...I swore that I heard nothing-silence. I was at ease. About 20 minutes later one of the babysitters brought Caroline back to me. Apparently she had moved into a silent / hyperventilating cry. After 30 minutes of hysterics...they thought that she needed to come back to me. After about 15 minutes she had finally calmed down...and was enjoying a piece of coffee cake with the other moms.
Everyone inquired how old she was...after letting me know she was darling (of course)...and when I said almost 18 months they all said the same thing-that was right around the time that their child started with the SA too. Like I said...Brooke never had this! How long does it last?? Does anything work?? Good thing she doesn't go to KDO right now because I would have to pick her up early every time!! Advice welcome :)
3 comments:
That stinks!! Lucy freaks when I try to put her to bed. It's like she doesn't want to be alone. I feel like a hostage negotiator trying to convince it's ok, I'll just sit here silently while you sleep! Good luck, it's like everything else, "just a phase". Love when people tell me that! I guess they grow out it eventually! Good luck!
C has finally adjusted to the Y childcare after a couple weeks of tears, clinging for dear life, having to be held by a lady the whole time.... I've found the quick hand off and run to be the best for him. Now it's a brief scream and done. Please don't tell me we'll go through this again in a couple months!
oh kelly...i am right there with ya! lilly is a stage 5 clinger. i am chalking it up to a phase and hoping she will grow out of it very soon. ryan went through it as well but not nearly this bad. i just try to tell myself that soon enough she will want nothing to do with me so i better soak this up while i can. good luck girl!
Post a Comment