So, Brooke is going to be four this year which is totally crazy in and of itself. What is also crazy is that she is still addicted to pacifiers...otherwise known in our house as pows. I had tried awhile back to get her to lose the pows...but she would always tell me that she wasn't ready and she wanted to keep them. We attempted to only have them at night...but then she would randomly find one in a couch cushion or sneak one downstairs. Recently, it seemed like she always had one in the mouth and one in each hand. She even talks with them in her mouth!
It had to end.
I began REALLY talking up the Pow Fairy. This magical lady was going to come to our house and take all the pows away and give them to babies that needed them. In their place, she would leave a big girl gift. In Brooke's case, she really wanted a doll house-specifically the same one has one of her friends :) I let her know that the Pow Fairy may just leave doll houses...but that we would have to give up our pows to find out.
On Monday, as we were getting ready for the day, I asked Brooke again about the Pow Fairy. Brooke told me that she was ready to have her come and walked off to her room and put all the pows (3 to be exact) underneath her pillow. She then went on to have a conversation with the fairy letting her know she could now come to our house and take the pows away...but to "please leave me that doll house."
After school that day, much to Brooke's delight, the Pow Fairy did come. She took those pows away AND she left the exact doll house that Brooke wanted.
She didn't stop playing with it all night long.
So far this week she has done pretty well. She has not really asked for the beloved pows, but we have had a hard time getting her to settle down and get in bed. It is almost as if she cannot relax. It took about 2 hours last night which is the longest so far. Hopefully it will continue to get better....but we are SO proud of Brooke that she was able to say farewell to the pacifiers.
I have to admit, though, it was a little hard on me (and Gary) to actually toss them all in the garbage. I got a bit emotional! It is as if she is 'really' growing up. Since Caroline doesn't use one (never has) it feels like we don't have any baby items left in the house :(
I may have kept one-not to ever give-for a keepsake for Brooke. It that totally bizarre?? Go ahead and judge... :)
1 comment:
i would totally do the same thing Kelly, I'm sure she'll appreciate it when she's older too..and when she reads this book haha
I am very very proud of her though! WAY TO GO BROOKE!!
Post a Comment