Monday, January 24, 2011

P. Port

Yes, I am the only person left I know that doesn't have a passport.

I really wouldn't care, but apparently you have to have one in order to enter Jamaica. After talking with a few close friends and family, I was informed that they also take 6-8 weeks to arrive. What??

Additionally, they cost (for a first timer) $135.00!! I am totally naive and seriously thought these babies ran somewhere around $15.00. I mean...it is just paper right?

Wrong. Gary said that they are, "way more important then a piece of paper. Kelly, this is your identification to the WORLD."

Way to make it all awkward and serious Gary.

So, off to the post office I go...tomorrow...before 4:00 p.m....with drivers license and birth certificate in hand. With my two kids which should make for a good time.

My sister told me that you cannot smile when they take your picture. Is this true? If so, I am nervous. When people tell me not to smile I get all uncomfortable and start, well, smiling. It is making me smile just to type it and think about it.

I hope that I get copies of the pictures that they take because if they do...I may make it my new FB profile pic-serious and all.

First step to Jamaica...Check (well, check tomorrow).

4 comments:

Megan and Chris said...

No smiling! I look like a terrorist in mine- am I allowed to say that?? Good luck!

Maggie said...

I dont have a passport either!

i guess we have never really had reason to, maybe ill win a trip to Jamaica and have to get one too!!

Unknown said...

I don't have one either...way to drop the ball Mom and Dad on helping your children be more prepared to leave the country...can Maggie and I just crash the trip? thanks.

Katie said...

I totally have a smile in mine!!! Soo weird that someone on FB just talked about this today too! I had no clue you couldn't smile! Mine still has my maiden name on it, but oh well... guess I have to buck up and get a new and updated Hirsch one! It's just money right... agh!!!