Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Old Friend

I don't know what made me think about my old friend...the pager. Maybe it was driving by a tanning salon which is-of course-where I purchased my pager junior year of high school. I had a friend that worked at the salon and I think she got me a 'deal.' I was so pumped. It was black-they were completely sold out of the colored clear ones and although I was disappointed, I was just so excited to have my new accessory. My parents totally told me I couldn't get one-so I went out and purchased one behind their backs because I was a child rebel like that. I mean, I had just met Gary and he totally had a pager too so they must have been cool right? This was before the standard days of cell phones and what better way to stay connected then to send love notes via page? What was the point of these things anyways?? I mean, if you got a page you still had to call the person back. Why didn't we just skip this whole technology and move right onto the phones??!! Not going to lie, though, when I got a page from the BF at night I thought I was pretty awesome. I miss my pager. How cool would I look at the park with my pager attached to my spandex black pants-mental image is amazing. Do you think they still sell them at tanning salons? I wouldn't know as I haven't walked through their doors in years. Let me know. What other items did we all have in our 'youngster' years? Hypercolor t-shirts? Swatches? Any hot little number purchased from 5 7 9? Do you miss them?? God knows I do...

4 comments:

Megan and Chris said...

you know you when to ursuline if..... you had a pager.

Anonymous said...

um, my husband still has a pager and totally wears it clipped to the outside of his pants...then a phone clipped to the other side. so embarrassing.

Maggie said...

i forgot how cool you were in highschool, wish i could go back and witness it all over again!

Lisa said...

A friend of mine's 15-year old daughter just bought a Swatch watch. She couldn't believe that they were all the rage in the 80s. She thought she had discovered this cool new thing.